Tuesday, May 1, 2012

1,001 Days of Change

I think that everyone can agree that the first post on a new blog is not only the hardest to write, but also the least fun to read. This one will probably be no different.

My name is Jenee and I'm a 25-almost-26-year-old living in Rochester, NY. While Waking Up in the Real World is primarily going to be a personal blog, my reason for starting it was to have a way to chronicle my involvement in the Day Zero Project. This project challenges participants to complete a list of 101 goals in 1,001 days. My list of goals can be found here. As you'll see, item number 6 is "write a blog chronicling my Day Zero project." So, hey, there's one goal I can mark as being in progress. *cue applause*

I hate writing about myself, especially in that formulaic "this is who I am" kind of way. Instead, I like to let people get to know me by following my blog and reading what I have to say. I also know, however, that readers need a bit of context in order to decide whether or not they have any interest in following a blog, so I'll give you a brief overview:

I'm a liberal. I'm apathetic when it comes to religion (as in, I don't care whether or not there's a higher power). I'm bisexual and currently dating a wonderful man named Don that will probably feature heavily in my (mis)adventures. I'm highly opinionated about pretty much everything, most of which comes from reading books and articles on topics I'm interested in, but some of which comes from actual life experience. I'm a huge nerd, especially when it comes to science fiction television. I love to read. A lot. If I could get paid to read, I'd be the happiest woman on the planet.

So...that's a slice of myself, although there's obviously a lot more to me. At this point, I should also explain the title of the blog. I graduated college in 2009 and have been sort of floundering since then (including a misguided attempt at a Master's in Education program that I ended up hating). The main reason I wanted to do the Day Zero Project was because there were a lot of things in my life that I wanted to change, i.e., my financial situation, my weight, etc. I've tried to complete it a few times in the past but never really had the drive/willpower/what-have-you to actually do it. In the last few months I've come to realize that I was sort of allowing myself to keep hitting the "snooze button" on my life and had ended up stuck in a rut because of it. Therefore, I felt that it was time to wake up and do something about that. Hence, the Day Zero project and the name of my blog.

There! You've made it through my first post, which is always the worst. That has to mean it can only get better from here, right? :)

-J


No comments:

Post a Comment