Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spotlight on Day Zero: Goal #76 -- Get rid of all the stuff I don't need







Every other Wednesday I'll be writing a post about one of my uncompleted goals for the Day Zero Project. Today's goal is:

#76: Get rid of all the stuff I don't need

In the last two and a half decades I have managed to accumulate a lot of crap. Books, clothes, mementos, knick-knacks, materials for hobbies, furniture--you get the idea. For the last seven years, I've been able to keep most of that stuff stored at my grandparents' house, which meant that the amount of stuff I had in my dorm room or apartment was only mildly horrific. Now that my grandmother and grandfather are, sadly, both gone, all of those boxes and bins are currently residing in one half of my room. The other half is covered with piles of clothes and clutter.

Now, I'm an inherently lazy person. And a huge procrastinator. I've been wanting to get rid of all of this junk for ages and yet it's still here, mocking me. With my lease up at the end of July and the three of us moving into separate places, I've only got a few months in which to declutter everything, leaving only the bare essentials and a few things that I couldn't live without.

The momentous task before me is not insurmountable but it feels pretty damn close. If I wanted the entire internet to judge me I'd post pictures of all of the things that have taken over my life because it would drive home the fact that there are department stores that have less items than I do. I know that I just need to get going and do it, but how do you decide what's worthy of keeping and what isn't? Are the playbills from shows that I've been involved in any less important than my high school yearbooks? Which books should be kept and which should be donated? And what about all of the things that have been given to me over the years? How do I decide which gifts are worthy of a place in my life and which ones aren't?


A few months ago I read a book called The Joy of Less: A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay. You'll notice that it's also listed as my current read on GoodReads. The book, which explains "how to declutter, organize, and simplify your life," caught my eye when it first came into the library where I work. I'm not one for self-help books or Feng Shui or any of that. I was just looking for a little push in the right direction towards getting all of that junk out of my apartment. The book is a straightforward read that attempts to cultivate a minimalist mindset while giving you tips on what to keep, what to store, what to donate, and what to throw out. I'm rereading it now because my goal is to have #76 completed by the end of June and it wouldn't hurt to go over what Jay suggests again.

In addition to Jay's book, I've also been looking online for articles about getting rid of crap you don't need and I came across an article from UpgradeReality: "Lessons from Tyler Durden & Ben Stiller--Stop Your Possessions From Owning You." I'm a huge fan of Fight Club (both the book and the movie) and I find Durden's perspective on "stuff" to be refreshing (even if I don't agree with his methods for ridding you of your possessions). We really aren't what we own, especially since I don't even use most of what I own. Attributing importance to a pair of pants or a keyring or a desk is ludicrous.

Courtesy of best-movie-quotes

Even more importantly, though, is the fact that I want to move across the country sometime in the next year. With the amount of stuff that I have right now, I'd need a cargo plane to shift it all out west. By culling my possessions, I can ensure that I'm mobile. And, using methods discussed in Jay's book, I can make sure that I don't ever end up having too much junk ever again.

Of course, reading about getting rid of my stuff and actually getting rid of my stuff are two different things. That's why I've made it one of my Day Zero goals. Hopefully by this time in July I can sincerely say that I've lightened the burden of my possessions and can check that goal off of my list.

-J
 

No comments:

Post a Comment