Friday, May 4, 2012

Black Hole: 1. Star: 0.

Sometimes I wonder why people tend to tune me out from time to time when I talk to them. Then I remember that it's because I find things like black holes interesting and I like to lecture talk about them.

This article from Discover Magazine caught my eye yesterday. It's the story of a wayward star whose orbit wandered too close to a black hole and became the stellar version of dinner. Let that be a lesson to you. Not sure what the lesson is, exactly, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

I've always regretted not studying math and science harder in school. Part of it was that I had teachers who weren't all that great; part of it was that I wasn't really engaged in the material. I have a basic understanding of science in general and an above-average understanding of the earth sciences in particular, but I'm pretty sure that Koko the Gorilla has better math skills than I do. Alas, this means no ridiculously awesome career involving telescopes, lab coats, or watching black holes "eat."

 *le sigh*

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment